Monday, June 10, 2019

From Rich to Poor



     Since I was born up to age 14 I had everything I ever needed. Holidays and birthdays were always exciting! My father owned his own fruit company business that he shared with my Uncle and owned acres of Pears, Apples, and cherries. Life was great and I never thought or worried about money because we always had it. Then my parents got divorced. My mother became a single parent taking care of 7 kids by herself, two of them still in diapers. She only had a high school degree and had no time to work with so many kids to take care of. This made her completely reliant upon the mercy of my Father and how much child support he was willing to pay her. My dad was already frugal with his money, but the divorce put bitterness in his heart and gave him a “you wanted the divorce so you figure out how to feed our kids” mindset. So my mother turned to our churches welfare system and was able to get food that way. I remember when we would run out of the welfare food we would survive from receiving groceries from my Mother's friend. The first time I went back to Walmart with my Mom to buy groceries again was like Christmas, I never knew going grocery shopping would feel so good.


     I experienced two different kinds of social cultures/norms, geographies, and privileges when I was living at home. The first was when I was rich, living in Hood River Oregon with my parents, and the second was when I was poor living in Eagle Mountain Utah with my Mom. Even though it was hard when my parents split up and financial resources were more scarce, I’m grateful for the perspective change I gained. I was able to understand people better who came from lower social classes. I was able to see prejudices I held against lower-class peers that I didn’t even know I had. I would look at people who smelt horrible or wore the same outfit every day with disgust wondering why they couldn’t take care of themselves. It wasn’t until I experienced a lack of resources myself that my brain connected was really happening for these people I was judging subconsciously. Slowly I started to see how my social class really kept me in a bubble from the world and the challenges a lot of people have today.

     Not only did I experience-rich versus poor, but I also experienced both parents versus a single-parent household. All of these different things shape society. Families have a huge effect on the world. They make up towns, which make up cities, which make up states, which make up countries and so on. So if we're not intentional parents, our families social class and culture will shape the future children of the world. I want my future children to experience many different cultures and social classes without having to necessary experience what it’s like to not have money for food or freshwater.  But how can I and others do that?

     I would say the first step is getting financially secure so that you can go explore the world a little bit. A book I recommend to everyone is by Dave Ramsey called “The Total Money Makeover.” If you follow his steps you will be able to be financially stable and self-reliant so you can not only help your family but also help others around you. After doing this, if your single go on a trip with some friends and talk/so activities you wouldn’t normally do. For example, maybe you choose to visit New York, but one of the things you do while you are there is volunteer at a homeless shelter and get to know the people there. If you have children then do the same thing with your children. I have found the best way to learn about a person on a deeper level is by serving them.

     To end I want to add that the more experiences we have with different social classes, geographies, people, families, etc., the more our eyes will start to open. I hope nobody has to go through what I went through to finally break through prejudices. Families and individuals could be so much stronger and better if we all took time to broaden our horizons and learn more about the world. I was able to do this when I served a mission for The Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter Day Saints in Alaska. While I was there I met all kinds of people. People who somehow survived -50 weather alone in the dark living in shacks that barely made it through the winter. My mission helped me love people who I never would normally choose to walk up to and have a conversation with. I hope that families today will be able to intentionally shape the culture in their home to be one of acceptance and servitude.





No comments:

Post a Comment